These Caramel Apple Crumble Cupcakes are made with a fluffy cinnamon cupcake with fresh apple pieces baked inside, a warm apple filling and a salted caramel cream cheese frosting dipped in a crunchy crumble topping for the ultimate Fall treat!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Meet your new Fall favourite: Caramel Apple Crumble Cupcakes!
I’ve been dying to share these cupcakes for weeks now! There’s so much going on right now, I had to take last week off because I’ve got a PILE of recipes to indulge you with in the next few weeks.
Caramel Apple Crumble Cupcakes
So what makes these cupcakes stand out from the rest?
- The fluffiest cinnamon cupcakes have APPLES baked inside!
- Those apple cinnamon cupcakes are filled with a homemade apple filling
- Topped with my popular salted caramel cream cheese frosting
- Dipped in a crunchy homemade apple crumble
- Tastes likes apple crisp in cupcake form!
One thing I love about food blogging is that I can easily use my previous creations as a base recipe to slightly modify and create brand new delicious recipes!
For example, every part of this cupcake comes from or is a variation of another recipe on this blog. The cinnamon apple cupcake was modified from my Lemon Cupcakes, the apple filling and crumble are from these Cinnamon Apple Sugar Cookie Sandwiches, and the Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting comes from these Pumpkin Cupcakes!
Cinnamon Apple Cupcakes
The cupcake is full of warm fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and I’ve even replaced some of the white sugar with brown sugar for even better flavour!
It wasn’t until I’d finished making the cupcake batter that I’d decided to turn these cinnamon cupcakes into cinnamon apple cupcakes!
I pulled out 2 of the 500 apples I had siting in the refrigerator, peeled and diced them into tiny little pieces then folded them into the batter. Best decision ever! The softened pieces of apples inside of the moist cupcakes had me swooning! These cupcakes really don’t need anything more.
Homemade Apple Filling
But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add more, so let’s stuff these cupcakes with even more apple deliciousness!
Once again, you’ll want to dice the apples into tiny pieces, then from there it’s as easy as mixing all the ingredients together on the stove. The brown sugar and butter will dissolve, then begin to boil. Let it cook for about 10 minutes and sit back and enjoy the amazing smells. Seriously, the smell of this apple filling bubbling on the stovetop will have your eyes rolling to the back of your head!
Cupcake✔️Apple Filling ✔️ now it’s time to work on the crumble. You’ll need flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, butter and oats.
We’ll mix all these ingredients together until it forms clumps, then spread it onto a baking sheet and bake for about 16 minutes, stirring it halfway. Remove from the oven and allow the crumble to cool completely, it’ll begin to harden up.
The pieces may be a bit big, so you can put them into a ziplock bag and smash them into smaller pieces using a rolling pin. I made the mistake of blending them in a food processor so I ended up with crumbs instead of a crumble.
Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin cupcakes, banana cupcakes and apple cinnamon cupcakes all have 1 thing in common: they all go perfectly with salted caramel cream cheese frosting!! This salty and sweet frosting ties the flavours of the warm fall spices together so well!
You’ll want to start by preparing a batch of my homemade salted caramel sauce and letting it cool to room temperature. Then we’ll whip up a regular cream cheese frosting — butter, shortening, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Once that’s all mixed in together, add some of the salted caramel sauce and you’ve got one of the best frostings ever!
Put it all together!
Assembling these cupcakes is pretty easy. Start by coring the centre of the cupcakes, but make sure to keep the top parts. Fill the centres with the homemade apple filling, then cover it back up with the cake top, this will stop the filling from falling out when we dip the cupcakes in the crumble.
Pipe a poof of frosting onto each cupcake, then dip it into the crumble. Pipe a final swirl of silky caramel cream cheese frosting on top, then drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce and top with an apple slice.
>>PIN THIS FOR LATER<<
More Apple Treats You May Enjoy:
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
SHARE YOUR PICS!
Tag me on Instagram @queensleeappetit or use the hashtag #queensleeappetit so I could see your gorgeous creations!
Let’s get baking!
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and diced into small pieces (I used Granny Smith and Honey Crisp)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 and 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 4 and 1/2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
Cinnamon Apple Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp sour cream, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced into small pieces (I used Granny Smith)
Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 Tbsp Salted Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 Tbsp hi-ratio shortening (can use solid vegetable shortening)
- 1 and 1/2 packages (12 oz) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 7 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Extra Salted Caramel Sauce, for drizzling (optional)
- 19 Apple slices
- Prepare one recipe of my Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce and allow it to cool completely.
For the Apple Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, brown sugar and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until apples are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour filling into a jar or an airtight container and allow to cool completely.
For the Crumble:
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix until lumps form. Add oats and mix until clumps form. Chill 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined sheet tray and bake 8 minutes. Using a metal spatula, stir and toss crumble. Rotate tray and continue to bake until crumble is dark golden brown, about 8 minutes more.
- Transfer crumble to a ziplock bag and smash with a rolling pin to get smaller pieces. Set aside to cool.
For the Cinnamon Apple Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter, both sugars, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Lower the speed to medium-low and mix in the eggs, one at a time until just combined.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to batter and beat just until combined, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Continue mixing in 1/2 of the remaining dry ingredients, remaining buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients. Remember to mix each addition until just combined before adding the next.
- Fold in diced apples. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling them ⅔ way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
For the Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the butter, shortening and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, then mix on low until combined.
- Add caramel sauce and vanilla and beat until completely smooth and combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and beat on low until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Core the centres of each cupcakes, using an apple or cupcake corer. Save the tops.
- Fill with the cooled apple filling and place the tops back on.
- Transfer cream cheese frosting to 2 disposable piping bags, 1 fitted with a large round tip and the other fitted with a large star tip.
- With the round tip, pipe a poof of frosting onto each cupcake. Dip the tops into the crumble.
- With the star tip, pipe a swirl on top of the crumble. Drizzle with remaining salted caramel and top with an apple slice. Enjoy!
- The cinnamon apple cupcakes can be made a day ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Any longer, and I suggest storing them in the refrigerator.
- Caramel Sauce, apple filling and crumble can also be made in advance. Caramel sauce can be stored in an airtight jar at room temperature for a day or 2. Apple filling should be stored covered in the refrigerator.
- Frosting can be made a few days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before piping onto cupcakes.
- Leftover cupcakes should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, bring to room temperature before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton 402-2110 1M Open Star Piping Tip
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
MAGICYOYO Ice Cream Scoop Trigger, Metal Cookie Scoop Melon Baller, Heavy Duty Premium 18/8 Stainless Steel Spoon Scooper, Gift for Kids, Friends & Family (Large Scoop)
Standard Size White Cupcake Paper/Baking Cup/Cup Liners, Pack of 500
Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan (2, STANDARD)
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.