These Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Cookie Sandwiches are filled with a smooth and creamy salted caramel cream cheese frosting, homemade apple filling, crunchy oat crumble and drizzled with salted caramel sauce. And all of this deliciousness is sandwiched in between two soft and chewy cinnamon cookies!
Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Cookie Sandwiches
Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve made a Cookie Sandwich recipe. Last year I made these Lemon Meringue Sugar Cookie Sandwiches and these Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Sandwiches, and yes they are as amazing as they sound.
Since Thanksgiving is coming up, I thought it would be a great idea to make apple crisp flavoured cookie sandwiches! Better yet, salted caramel apple crisp flavoured cookie sandwiches!
Apple and caramel is one of my favourite fall flavour combinations. They go together so well and give you all the warm and cozy feelings of autumn.
One of my favourite apple desserts is Apple Crisp. The warm and gooey apple filling paired with the crispy crumble topping is out of this world! Throw salted caramel sauce into the mix and you’ve got the ultimate fall dessert (see this Salted Caramel Apple Crisp for example).
These cookies have all of the best parts of a traditional apple crisp packed between two soft and chewy cinnamon cookies. Aside from the apple filling and crispy crumble, these cookies are also stuffed with salted caramel sauce and salted caramel cream cheese frosting! Are you drooling yet?
How to Make Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Cookie Sandwiches
There’s a lot of parts in these cookies and each part is made completely from scratch, but I promise they’re still seriously easy to make.
We start with the cinnamon cookies. I wasn’t sure whether to call these sugar cookies or snickerdoodles, so I just settled for simple “cinnamon cookies” because that’s what they are!
The cinnamon cookies come together in minutes, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand already. Butter, brown and white sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, loads of cinnamon, baking soda/powder, and salt. Very simple ingredients for a a very delicious cookie.
These cookies don’t need to be chilled (thank God), but I recommend using a cookie scoop to get even sized cookies. This is obviously very important because we’ll be sandwiching two cookies together. Also, once you scoop out the dough, roll them in some cinnamon sugar for extra cinnamon flavour!
Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
Ahh, this incredible frosting, I can’t get enough! This yummy cream cheese frosting is incredibly creamy and silky, and the slight tanginess of the cream cheese pairs perfectly with the sweet caramel sauce.
I’ve created a separate post about this tasty frosting, because I’ve used it in a lot of recipes and plan on using it in a lot more!
Homemade Apple Filling
Sweet homemade apple pie filling. I’m so glad I had some leftover once I finished making the cookies, because I couldn’t stop eating this by the spoonful!
For the apples, I recommend using a variety of apples. I used Honey Crisp and Granny Smith for the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
You’ll need to dice the apples into very small pieces so it can fit inside the cookies. Since the apples are diced so small, they won’t take very long to cook so be sure to keep your eyes on it at all time so it doesn’t burn.
I added some brown sugar and a cornstarch slurry to the filling so it could thicken up into a nice glaze that would hold up perfectly inside the cookies.
Crispy Crunchy Crumble
Say that 10 times fast. The crumble is made just like every other crumb topping — I just threw all the ingredients into a food processor and pulsed until everything was nice and crumbly.
Alternatively, you can use a fork to cut the butter into the flour, or your hands so you can really get a feel of the butter to make sure it’s crumbled well enough.
Now since we aren’t adding this crumble on top of something that needs to be baked, we’re gonna have to bake it separately. I poured the crumble onto a silpat lined baking sheet and baked in a preheated oven until it was crispy. The crumble sort of puffed up and baked together, so I had to break them up into pieces once it had finished baking.
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
My Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce is so silky, sweet and easy to make. To make the caramel itself, you only need 4 ingredients. The vanilla is completely optional, but it adds some extra flavour to the caramel.
The caramel can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Once it’s chilled, we’ll add it to the frosting and drizzle it over the cookies!
How to Assemble the Cookie Sandwiches
To assemble the cookie sandwiches, pipe a rim of salted caramel cream cheese frosting around the edges of one cookie. You want to keep the centre empty because we’re gonna fill it with a spoonful of the apple filling, along with some of the crumble and a drizzle of salted caramel sauce!
I used a squeeze bottle to create a super neat and pretty caramel drizzle, but honestly you could just spoon some caramel into the centre and it’ll be perfectly fine.
Try these delectable apple crisp cookie sandwiches today. Soft cinnamon cookies, silky caramel cream cheese frosting, and sweet apple filling with the addition of a crispy crumble that gives these cookies a delicious crunch in every bite! It’s all your apple crisp dreams come true in between two incredible cookies!
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Never miss a recipe, SUBSCRIBE at the bottom of this post!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
Let’s get baking!
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced into small pieces (I used Granny Smith and Honey Crisp)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp cold water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 recipe of my Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prepare one recipe of my Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce and allow it to cool completely.
For the Apple Filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, add the diced apples, brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring occasionally until apples are softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- While apples are cooking, add the cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of cold water to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour cornstarch slurry into saucepan and stir to combine. Cook until mixture thickens.
- Allow mixture to bubble for an additional minute. Remove from heat and pour filling into a jar or an airtight container and allow to cool completely.
For the Crumble:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Add cold butter pieces to the mixture and using a fork of your fingers, work it into the dry mixture until pea-sized lumps form. Mix in the oats. Cover and chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Once chilled, pour crumble onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15–18 minutes, or until crumble is golden brown and crispy.
- You may need to break the crumble into smaller pieces once it’s done baking. Set aside to cool.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 to 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix on medium-low until well combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, then add to wet ingredients and stir on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- For the Cinnamon Sugar: Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture until completely coated.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing balls a few inches apart so they have room to spread.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare one recipe of my Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Transfer salted caramel frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (I used Wilton 6B).
- Pair cookies together and pipe a ring of frosting around edge of one cookie.
- Fill the center with a spoonful of apple pie filling and sprinkle some of the crumble on top. Drizzle some salted caramel sauce on top, then sandwich with another cookie. Enjoy!
- Salted Caramel Sauce can be made a few days ahead of time. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Re-heat for 25-35 seconds to get it to pourable consistency.
- Crumble can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I recommend filling the cookies the day you plan on serving as they can get too soft after a while.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Ateco 4712 Disposable Decorating Bags, 12-Inch, Pack of 100
Utopia Kitchen 2 Quart Nonstick Saucepan with Glass Lid - Multipurpose Use for Home Kitchen or Restaurant
Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Mega Large Cookie Pan, 15 x 21-Inch
Solula Professional 18/8 Stainless Steel Medium Cookie Scoop, 2-YEAR Warranty
Wilton Decorating Tip, No.6B Star
DID YOU MAKE A RECIPE?
I’d love to see how it turned out! Follow me on Instagram and use the hashtag #queensleeappetit so I can see all of the Queenslee Appétit recipes you’ve made!
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.