These White Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are made with a soft and fluffy white cupcake that has chunks of fresh strawberries in every bite! It’s then finished off with a layer of white chocolate ganache, strawberry buttercream and a white chocolate dipped strawberry on top!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Easter has come and gone and now Mother’s Day is just around the corner. I’ve been so busy these past few days that I unfortunately forgot all about Cinco de Mayo, so I didn’t even have a chance to make a recipe for that holiday like I planned.
But if you do plan on celebrating, you should check out these incredibly delicious Dulce de Leche Churro Cupcakes I made last year. Everyone who’s made them has said they are one of the best cupcakes they’ve ever made, and one reader even won a $1000 prize after submitting them in a baking contest. So if that doesn’t motivate you to give them a try, I don’t know what will!
Back to these Mother’s Day cupcakes! I tragically lost my mother when I was little, so this has always been a holiday that I’ve tried to ignore because all it does is make me sad. But since I’ve started this food blog, I thought I should at least create fun and adorable recipes to share with my readers so you can make them for your mothers, grandmothers or yourself!
White Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
This past Valentines Day, I made these outstanding Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. Those cupcakes were a huge hit, so I decided to make a white chocolate strawberry version for Mother’s Day.
I think we can agree that Chocolate Covered Strawberries are the perfect gift for both Valentines Day AND Mother’s Day. It’s the perfect way to say “I love you”. And these cupcakes are the perfect way to say “I love you more than anything in the world!”
Fluffy White Strawberry Cupcakes
This recipe starts off with the fluffiest white cupcake I’ve ever had! I was going to use cake flour, but in the end decided against it because not everyone can get ahold of it. Even without the cake flour these cupcakes were still crazy fluffy!
One key to achieving the super fluffy and soft cupcake texture is by creaming the butter, sugar, sour cream, oil and vanilla together for at least 4 minutes so that it’s extremely pale and fluffy in texture. The sour cream adds softness while the vegetable oil adds the moisture.
Next we add the egg whites, which provides structure to the cupcake, but still keeps the crumbs light. Then alternate by adding the dry ingredients in three additions and the buttermilk in two.
Once the batter has been made, add some diced fresh strawberries (yum!), then it’s ready to be baked.
Super White Chocolate Ganache
Just like my original Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes, I topped the cupcakes with a layer of ganache. Since the flavour of these cupcakes are white chocolate and strawberry, I made a white chocolate ganache instead of a regular chocolate ganache.
When it comes to appearance for photography purposes, I had to tint the ganache using icing whitening gel to make it super white. Melted white chocolate is more yellow in colour than white, but if that’s not a problem to you then go ahead and omit the icing whitener.
White Chocolate Strawberry Frosting
This frosting. THIS frosting! I thought my original Strawberry Frosting was good, but when you add in some melted white chocolate it takes the frosting to epic levels of deliciousness!
To make the frosting, I made a very small batch of my Homemade Strawberry Sauce, allowed it to cool completely, then puréed it in the blender. I recommend making the sauce a day ahead so it has time to chill completely in the refrigerator. If the sauce is too warm, it could cause the frosting to separate.
Once the sauce is prepared and chilled, whip up the butter, shortening and salt. Then add half of the powdered sugar along with 1/4 cup of the cooled strawberry sauce and the cooled melted white chocolate (yum!). Add the remaining powdered sugar and whip, whip, whip until it’s nice and fluffy, creamy and smooth!
The frosting wasn’t exactly pink enough for me, so I added a small drop of pink gel food colouring to get a darker shade of pink. This is totally optional, so feel free to leave the frosting as is.
White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
You can’t have a white chocolate strawberry cupcake without white chocolate covered strawberries! Now I said white chocolate, but I’ll admit, I didn’t dip these strawberries in white chocolate. I wanted the coating to be bright and white, so I used these Bright White Candy Melts instead of white chocolate.
Honestly, you could just dip them in white chocolate too and you’d still get a nice white colour. I’m just being extra, but what’s new?
To decorate the strawberries, I immediately sprinkled on some white nonpareils before the coating set, but you could also drizzle on some more white chocolate or dip them in nuts, coconut etc. Go crazy!
To frost the cupcakes, I used this beautiful Wilton 8B piping tip and piped a generous swirl on top. Then I took some of that remaining white chocolate ganache and drizzled some onto the cupcake before finishing it off with the “white chocolate” covered strawberry.
These cupcakes are just all kinds of perfection! I adore the bits of fresh strawberries in the cupcake paired with the soft, fluffy cupcake. With the strawberry cupcake, white chocolate ganache, white chocolate strawberry frosting and white chocolate covered strawberries, these cupcakes have the perfect amount of both flavours!
More Mother’s Day Desserts:
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
Let’s get baking!
- 1 cup (8 oz) fresh or frozen strawberries, stems removed and diced (if frozen, thawed)
- 2-3 Tbsp granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp sour cream, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup fresh diced strawberries
White Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- 15 strawberries, rinsed and pat dry
- 1 bag bright white candy melts (or 8 oz. white chocolate, chopped)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 jar of White non-pareils
Super White Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Few drops of white gel food colouring (like Wilton icing whitener)
White Chocolate Strawberry Frosting:
- 3/4 cups unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup Hi-ratio Shortening (you can substitute for regular vegetable shortening)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 4 Tbsp Strawberry Sauce, chilled (recipe above)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- Pink gel food colouring (optional)
For the Strawberry Sauce:
- Combine the strawberries, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan on medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, lower the heat and allow the strawberries to cook and soften, breaking up the strawberries and stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon for about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour sauce into a blender or food processor and pulse until the strawberries are smooth. Press through a fine mesh sieve and discard the seeds. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Strawberry Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C), and line a standard 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners. Line a second pan with 3 liners. This recipe makes about 12-15 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Lower the speed to medium-low and mix in the egg whites, one at a time until just combined.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and beat just until combined, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Continue mixing in 1/2 of the remaining dry ingredients, remaining buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients. Remember to mix after each addition before adding the next. Fold in diced strawberries.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling them ⅔ way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. Meanwhile, make the white chocolate covered strawberries.
For the White Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- Wash the strawberries and dry them completely. Set aside. You only need about 12-15 strawberries for the cupcakes, but there should be enough chocolate to dip a few extra.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or wax paper. Set aside.
- Melt the candy melts or the chopped white chocolate and 1 tablespoon of shortening in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until fully melted and smooth.
- Using a toothpick or holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the strawberries in the coating. Shake off excess chocolate and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with white non-pareils. Transfer to the refrigerator for about 5-10 minutes to set or until ready to use.
For the Super White Chocolate Ganache:
- Add white chocolate chips and heavy cream to a heat safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until completely melted, smooth and combined.
- Add a squirt of the icing whitener and stir until the ganache is completely white.
- Spoon ganache over cupcakes, then transfer to refrigerator while you prepare frosting.
For the White Chocolate Strawberry Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, beat butter, shortening and salt until light and fluffy, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Add 4 tablespoons of the chilled strawberry sauce along with the cooled melted white chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar and beat until fully combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes.
- If the frosting isn’t pink enough for you, you could add a few drops of pink gel food colouring if you want.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip, then pipe a generous swirl onto each cupcake. Drizzle with remaining white chocolate ganache.
- Garnish with a white chocolate covered strawberry. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- AmeriColor Food Coloring, Bright White Soft Gel Paste, 6 Ounce
- Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan (2, STANDARD)
- Green Direct Standard Size White Cupcake Paper/Baking Cup/Cup Liners, Pack of 500
- Wilton Decorating Tip, No.8B Star Open Stock (402-8800)
- CK Products Non-Pareils White, 3.8 Oz.
DID YOU MAKE A RECIPE?
Tag @queensleeappetit and use the hashtag #queensleeappetit so I can see all of the Queenslee Appétit recipes you’ve made!
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.