These Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwiches pack TONS of flavour in each bite! Using my highly popular Honey BBQ Chicken Wings recipe to create the most flavourful chicken patty made with homemade BBQ sauce, sitting between 2 brioche buns, fresh lettuce, crispy bacon, mozzarella and red onions — you’re gonna wanna make these sandwiches again and again!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
My (and a majority of my readers) obsession with my Honey BBQ Chicken Wings recipe has lead me to create different versions of those perfect wings. I used the ingredients from that chicken wing recipe to make Honey BBQ Chicken Nachos and now we’ll be enjoying that chicken in sandwich form!
These Sandwiches Are:
- Super juicy
- Super easy
- Super flavourful
- Mildly spicy
Both the BBQ sauce and chicken are ready in 20 minutes each, and the sauce can be made days ahead of time so the entire sandwich can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce
This recipe starts with my Homemade BBQ Sauce which can easily be turned into a Honey bbq sauce! Before I get into it, if you want to make a simplified version like the sauce I use for my wings, simply melt some butter, stir in your favourite bbq sauce, ketchup and honey. Allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes before using.
My homemade bbq sauce is made exactly the same way, except we use more ingredients since it’s completely from scratch! Check out my homemade bbq sauce post (linked above) for more details on what ingredients are used to make bbq sauce and how we make it (hint: stir and simmer!).
Ingredients in Honey BBQ Chicken
Once you’ve made the bbq sauce, you can start making the chicken. The chicken tastes just like my honey bbq wings, this is because it uses all the same seasonings:
- Black Pepper
- Hot Chilli Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
These combined seasonings give us the most flavourful chicken ever!
How to Make the BBQ Chicken
Making the chicken is almost as easy as making the bbq sauce! After you’ve combined all 5 seasonings, place the chicken onto a lined baking sheet and sprinkle and rub the seasoning onto both sides. Make sure the entire chicken is coated in the seasoning.
Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes, then spread on the first layer of bbq sauce. Bake for another 5 minutes, meanwhile increase the oven temperature to 475°F. Spread more sauce onto the chicken and bake for another 5 minutes. You can spread on more bbq sauce at this point once you’ve put it onto your burger buns.
Toasting the Buns
To assemble the burgers, start by toasting the buns. I used to do this by popping them in the oven for a few minutes, but I never liked the way the buns would harden. I like my burger buns to be nice and soft while also being warm and toasted.
So for my new method, I spread some butter onto the bottom of both buns, then I heated up a skillet and placed them butter-side down. Let them sit for a minute or two and you’ve got warm, buttery burger buns ready to be loaded with tons of deliciousness!
What Should I Put On My Burgers?
You can definitely put whatever you please onto your burgers, but since these are bbq chicken burgers, these are the best things to add to your burgers to enhance the chickens flavours:
- More Honey BBQ Sauce: Listen, you’re gonna have quite a bit of honey bbq sauce left, so might as well go all out and spread some onto the buns!
- Lettuce: Every good burger, chicken, beef or other, needs some good lettuce. The best lettuce to put on burgers is green leaf lettuce.
- Sliced Mozzarella: I added a slice of mozzarella onto my chicken, but in my opinion, the best cheese to pair with barbecue is smoked gouda! If you can find some, I definitely recommend melting some and pouring it onto the burgers. You could even make a smoked gouda cheese sauce! Just use the recipe from these Cheese Fries and replace the cheddar with gouda.
- Crispy Bacon: Bacon makes everything better! Cook a few slices of bacon to your desired crispiness, I like to do this in the oven.
- Red Onions: Every bbq recipe needs red onions! I don’t know what it is about them, but they make bbq chicken taste even better!
These BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are a must have this summer! Prepare them on the grill if you plan on serving them at a cookout. Make sure to make plenty, because people will definitely be coming back for more!
Try These Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwiches Next!
SHARE YOUR PICS!
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
SWEETEN UP YOUR INBOX!
SUBSCRIBE to the Queenslee Appétit Newsletter to recieve new recipe notifications, monthly baking tips, sneak peeks to upcoming recipes, exclusive recipes and more!
- 1 recipe of my Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 and 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- Softened Butter
- Extra honey bbq sauce (recipe above)
- Green leaf lettuce
- Sliced mozzarella
- Crispy bacon
- Red onions, sliced
- Prepare a batch of my Homemade BBQ Sauce (link above). If you want a simplified version with less ingredients, see the notes below.
For the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, hot chilli powder, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Place chicken breasts onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the seasoning blend onto both sides of the chicken, rubbing it in.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and spread bbq sauce onto both sides. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove chicken from oven and increase heat to 475°F.
- Spread more bbq sauce onto both sides of the chicken and bake for a final 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Assembling the Sandwiches:
- Place a frying pan onto the stove over medium heat. Spread softened butter onto both sides of each burger bun. Place butter side down onto the pan and let it toast for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Spread more bbq sauce onto the buns. On the bottom bun, place on the lettuce and bbq chicken. Spread more bbq sauce on top of the chicken, if you want.
- Top the chicken with sliced mozzarella, bacon, red onions and the top bun. Serve and enjoy!
- Simplified Honey BBQ Sauce: If you’d like a simplified version of my homemade honey bbq sauce with less ingredients: melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan, then stir in 1 cup of your favourite bbq sauce, 1/2 cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of ketchup. Let the mixture simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Make Ahead: The BBQ Sauce can be made days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 627Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 237mgSodium: 1077mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 49g
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.