This Chocolate Lovers Hot Chocolate features the most decadent hot chocolate made with chocolate ganache! Topped off with a fluffy chocolate whipped cream and more delicious chocolate garnishes, this rich and creamy drink was created for the chocolate lover in you.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Post/Recipe Updated: 01/10/2020
I originally posted this recipe in February 2018, but after 2 years my recipes and my brain work a lot differently so I decided to make a few changes to improve this super decadent hot chocolate.
Not only did I upgrade the chocolate whipped cream recipe to be even chocolatier, but I swapped out the old hot chocolate recipe for a new chocolate ganache hot chocolate!
Chocolate Lovers Hot Chocolate
So what’s better than a mug of creamy and delicious hot chocolate? A mug of the chocolat-iest, chocolate-y, Chocolate Lovers Hot Chocolate!
I absolutely LOVE chocolate and enjoy it in every form possible. Chocolate bars, truffles, ice-cream, milk, cereal, cake/cupcakes, milkshakes and especially hot chocolate!
It’s just one of those things that makes everything better. You could dip brussel sprouts in chocolate and I’d probably eat them. Or just lick the chocolate off and throw the brussel sprouts away, but hey—you get what I mean!
If you’re a chocolate freak like me, you’re seriously gonna fall in love with this recipe. This Chocolate Lovers Hot Chocolate definitely lives up to its title. A chocolate-dipped mug filled with a delightfully rich ganache hot chocolate. All of that richness is topped with a tasty chocolate whipped cream, melted chocolate and chocolate curls!
Ganache Hot Chocolate
Why ganache hot chocolate instead of regular hot chocolate? Well, to make regular hot chocolate you have to combine all the ingredients — milk, cocoa, chocolate etc. together and heat until the chocolate is melted.
However, I’ve found that sometimes the chocolate can get grainy or separate from the milk which is why I came up with an idea to pre-melt the chocolate before adding it to the milk mixture. Then it hit me, I’m already using heavy cream in the hot chocolate, so why not kick things up a notch and combine it with the chocolate to make a ganache?
Making the hot chocolate is insanely simple. Start by combining the heavy cream with the chocolate and microwaving them both for about 1 minute, then stir until a silky ganache is formed.
Then, in a saucepan, combine the milk, cocoa and vanilla and heat while stirring to dissolve the cocoa. Finally pour in the ganache then continue to heat and stir until the milk begins to simmer. That’s it, the best hot chocolate you’ll ever have!
The Most Amazing Chocolate Whipped Cream
I didn’t realize it before, but my old chocolate whipped cream recipes barely had any chocolate in ‘em. I mean the old recipe I used only had 1 tablespoon of cocoa in 1 cup of cream! Ridiculous, right??
This time I halved the amount of cream and doubled the amount of cocoa! An extra chocolatey whipped cream that’s delicious enough to pipe directly into your mouth!
Yes, I’ve done it before. No, I’m not ashamed.
Decorate with More Chocolate!
Now between the ganache hot chocolate and chocolate whipped cream, this recipe already says “chocolate lover” but we want it to scream “CHOCOLATE LOVER” so I dipped the mugs in melted chocolate, then topped the whipped cream with more melted chocolate, chocolate curls and a little chocolate heart on top to show how much we LOVE chocolate! ❤️
The Best plan of attack when enjoying this drink
Drinking this can get pretty messy, trust me. So the best plan of attack is to lick the chocolate off the rim and eat the chocolate heart. Then take a spoon to scoop and eat the chocolate whipped cream on top and swirl some of it into the hot chocolate. Once all of those delicious obstacles are out of the way, you can finally drink the sweet liquid underneath!
Are you a Chocolate Lover? If so, you’ll love these recipes:
>>PIN RECIPE FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
SHARE YOUR PICS!
Tag me on Instagram @queensleeappetit or use the hashtag #queensleeappetit so I could see your gorgeous creations!
SWEETEN UP YOUR INBOX!
SUBSCRIBE to the Queenslee Appétit Newsletter to recieve new recipe notifications, monthly baking tips, sneak peeks to upcoming recipes, exclusive recipes and more!
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
Ganache Hot Chocolate:
- 1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Curls
- Chocolate Hearts
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, whip the chilled cream, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla on high speed until it reaches stiff peaks, about 2-3 minutes. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Rim:
- Pour the melted chocolate into a small plate and dip or roll the rim of your mug. Set aside.
For the Ganache Hot Chocolate:
- In a heat safe bowl, microwave the heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips together in 30 second intervals, until the cream is steaming hot. This takes me about 1 minute, but it may be longer for you, so stir after each interval to check if the chocolate is melted enough.
- Stir until the mixture comes together to form a thick and silky ganache. Set aside.
- Add the milk, cocoa and vanilla to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cocoa has dissolved.
- Pour in the ganache and continue to stir until the mixture is simmering. Do not boil.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs. Top with the chocolate whipped cream, a drizzle of melted chocolate, chocolate curls and a chocolate heart candy, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 626Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 5gSugar: 51gProtein: 7g
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.