This Candy Cane Hot Chocolate is a warm and cozy Holiday drink perfect for warming up to the cold weather. With a candy cane lined rim, peppermint hot chocolate filled with crushed candy canes, and a peppermint whipped cream topping, this drink screams Christmas!
Another hot chocolate recipe for you all! As everyone knows, Canadian winters are pretty brutal. I dread going outside, or even leaving my room since it’s the only part of the house with a heater.
The only thing I like about the freezing cold weather is that it gives me an excuse to drink as much hot chocolate as I possibly can! Well, I would drink it no matter what the weather was like, but that’s the excuse I tell myself so I don’t feel guilty.
This hot chocolate recipe is the perfect holiday drink! It’s rich, warm, cozy and oh so delectable. I love the combination of peppermint and chocolate, and the addition of crushed candy canes makes this hot beverage even more Christmas-y!
Candy Cane Mug Decoration
To begin, I dipped the rim of the mug in melted chocolate, then dipped it in crushed candy canes. I found that straight up dipping the mugs makes the candy cane pieces fall into the cup, so I ended up rolling the rim in the chocolate and candy canes instead. Even then, the chocolate sort of glides down, taking the candy canes with it, but it still makes for a fancy and festive presentation!
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
Now make the hot chocolate. Start by crushing some candy canes in a food processor. You don’t want extra large chunks of candy canes remaining, because the candy cane should easily blend into the hot chocolate.
For the hot chocolate itself, I used a mixture of milk and cream. The cream adds more flavour and makes the hot chocolate nice and thick, but not TOO thick to the point where it’s like drinking ganache. Actually, that doesn’t sound too bad.
No hot chocolate is complete without a topping, so I topped mine with a generous swirl of peppermint whipped cream! Then to finish it off, I sprinkled some more crushed candy cane pieces on top — just in case you forgot this was a candy cane flavoured drink.
Now put on your ugliest Christmas sweater, grab a mug of this candy cane hot chocolate, snuggle up in your favourite spot and enjoy this peppermint bliss!
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
More Hot Chocolate Recipes to Enjoy!
- Winter Wonderland Hot Chocolate
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate with Salted Caramel Sugar
- Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream
Follow Queenslee Appétit
Did you make a recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out! Follow me on Instagram and use the hashtag #queensleeappetit so I can see all of the Queenslee Appétit recipes you’ve made!
Let’s get baking!
Candy Cane Rim:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted (you can use white, semisweet or dark)
- 5 candy canes, crushed
Sweetened Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 4 oz. milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 10 candy canes, crushed into fine crumbs + more for topping
For the Candy Cane Rim:
- Pour melted chocolate into one plate and crushed candy canes into another. Dip and roll the rim of each glass into the chocolate, then roll into the crushed candy canes. Place cups in the refrigerator to set.
For the Sweetened Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- In a medium stainless steal bowl, using a handheld mixer, whip the chilled cream until it reaches soft peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and peppermint and beat until cream holds peaks. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Candy Cane Hot Chocolate:
- Add the milk, cream, cocoa, peppermint, both chocolates and crushed candy canes to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is simmering. Do not boil.
- Pour into mugs and top with peppermint whipped cream and crushed candy canes. enjoy!
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Love, Dedra ❤️