If you like Pina Colada’s, you’re gonna love this Piña Colada Milkshake! Deliciously sweet and refreshing, these boozy drinks are made with vanilla ice cream, pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, coconut milk and rum. A fun, summery adult treat!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
*Post Updated: 07/17/2020*
Summer is coming to an end, so enjoy these last few weeks relaxing on the beach (or on your couch) while enjoying long, refreshing sips of — not a Piña Colada, but a Piña Colada Milkshake!
Just one sip and you’ll be daydreaming of those beautiful sunny days, with the cool breeze flowing through your hair as you lay back on a beach chair watching the tides roll in. I never really get to experience it, so I have this daydream almost every other day.
What is A Piña Colada?
If you don’t know what a Piña Colada is, it’s a sweet cocktail made with ice, rum, coconut cream or milk and pineapples. These milkshakes are made just like a classic Piña Colada, except I replaced the ice with vanilla ice cream! In my opinion, this is far better than the cocktail version!
What Goes Into These Milkshakes?
Making milkshakes at home is ridiculously easy, almost fool proof! No complicated ingredients are needed for this recipe, just 4 simple ingredients:
- Vanilla Ice Cream: For the best flavour, use your favourite vanilla ice cream! The recipe requires 4 cups, but you can adjust this by adding more or less ice cream if you please.
- Pineapple Chunks + Pineapple Juice: Scoop out ⅓ cup of canned pineapple chunks, then measure out ¼ cup of the juice. 2 ingredients 1!
- Coconut Milk: Make sure to shake your can of coconut milk before measuring it out since coconut milk tends to separate.
- Rum: If you don’t have a bottle of rum or don’t wanna buy a bottle for this one recipe, you can replace it with 1 tablespoon of rum extract.
All of the measurements for these ingredients can be adjusted to your liking. Add more or less pineapple, double the rum, whatever you want! As I said, milkshakes are pretty foolproof, it’s pretty hard to mess them up.
How to Decorate The Glasses
Let’s start with the glass itself. Every piña colada is served in these gorgeous curvy glasses. I got lucky and found some at the dollar store, but you could get some here (affiliate link!).
To decorate these glasses piña colada style, I started by dipping the rim of the glasses into some honey and toasted coconut. After pouring in the milkshake, I cut out some pineapple wedges and cut a slit into the bottom to stick onto the glass. I then stuck a cocktail umbrella into a maraschino cherry and stuck them both into the top of the pineapple wedge.
And there you have it — classic Piña Colada’s in milkshake form! Enjoy these last few weeks of summer with this sweet, creamy and boozy cocktail dessert. It’ll surely be a treat for your tastebuds!
Don’t forget the colourful paper straws!
You May Also Like
SHARE YOUR PICS!
Follow me on Instagram and tag #queensleeappetit so I can see and share all of your Queenslee Appétit creations in my stories and the QA Newsletter!
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter |
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
SWEETEN UP YOUR INBOX!
SUBSCRIBE to the Queenslee Appétit Newsletter to recieve new recipe notifications, monthly baking tips, sneak peeks to upcoming recipes, exclusive recipes and more!
Let’s get baking!
Piña Colada Milkshake
If you like Pina Colada’s, you’re gonna love this Piña Colada Milkshake! Deliciously sweet and refreshing, these boozy drinks are a fun, summery adult treat!
- ¼ cup Honey or corn syrup
- ½ cup Toasted Coconut
Pina Colada Milkshake:
- 4 cups Vanilla ice cream (8 scoops)
- ⅓ cup pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup Pineapple juice
- ¼ cup Coconut milk or cream
- ¼ cup Rum
- Maraschino Cherries
- Pineapple Wedges
- Cocktail Umbrellas
- Paper Straws
For the Rim:
- Pour honey or corn syrup on into a small plate. Place toasted coconut into a separate plate.
- Dip the rim of your glass into the honey and press into the toasted coconut. Place glasses in the freezer while you prepare the milkshake.
For the Pina Colada Milkshake:
- Add ice cream, pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, coconut milk or cream and rum to a blender. Purée until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into milkshake glasses and garnish with pineapple wedges, a maraschino cherry, cocktail umbrellas and paper straws. Enjoy!
- Milkshake: Between the pineapple juice, coconut milk and rum, there was quite a bit of liquid, which resulted in thinner milkshakes. If you want your milkshake to be thicker, feel free to adjust the recipe to your liking by using less liquid or more ice cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 699Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 4gSugar: 84gProtein: 5g
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
You had mentioned using cream. May I ask the type of cream? Is this whipping cream if so reg or heavy whipping cream? Thank you.
Dedra | QueensleeAppetit
You can add heavy cream to the milkshake if you don't want to add milk.