This Classic Chocolate Milkshake is completely effortless to make! Simply blend all the ingredients together! The best part of this recipe is that you can easily customize it based on your own personal taste.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
It’s officially CHOCOLATE WEEK which means I’ll be participating in #Choctoberfest again this year (more information below)! Yes my loves, that means I’ll be taking a break from those wonderful warm Autumn flavours to bring you nothing but chocolatey goodness all week long! Starting with a classic chocolate milkshake!
We’re keeping things simple today, well as simple as I can possibly make it. No fancy glass decoration, chocolate on the rim or crazy freakshake toppings. A simple 3-ingredient chocolate milkshake topped with whipped cream...and chocolate shavings...and a chocolate square...with a drizzle of chocolate sauce in the glass.
Ok so I went a bit extra here, but it’s still a very simple recipe! Especially considering almost everything in the recipe is optional! I added hot fudge sauce to my milkshake to make it even chocolatier, don’t want to? Don’t have to! You can also leave out the whipped cream, or use that stuff in a can. I won’t judge, this time.
Ingredients in Chocolate Milkshake
Milkshakes are one of the easiest recipes you could ever make because they only require a small handful of ingredients!
- Ice Cream: This IS a chocolate milkshake recipe, but you can use either chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Yes, vanilla! I’ll explain more below.
- Heavy Cream or Milk: The purpose of this is to smoothen out the milkshake a bit. The recipe says ¼ cup - ½ cup of either cream or milk. This is based on how thick or thin you want your milkshake. The cream will also keep your milkshake nice and thick while the milk will thin it out.
- Hot Fudge Sauce: This is what I used to add extra chocolate flavour to the milkshakes, but there’s a few other things you could use! See below.
How to Make Chocolate Milkshake: 3 Ways
You can make a simple chocolate milkshake 3 different ways!
- Add a few scoops of chocolate ice cream and some milk or cream to a blender. A simple 2-ingredient milkshake!
- Add a few scoops of vanilla ice cream, milk or cream and chocolate sauce or hot fudge sauce to a blender. The sauce gives a great chocolate flavour, but there’s still an undertone of vanilla flavours.
- Add a few scoops of chocolate ice cream, milk or cream and chocolate/hot fudge sauce to the blender. This is the recipe I used because it results in the chocolatiest milkshake!!
You can simply pour your milkshake into a glass and enjoy, but it’s nearly impossible for me to keep things plain so I added a few decorations!
To start, I swirled some chocolate sauce inside the glass. If you do this, chill your glass afterwards! I didn’t and the chocolate sauce swirl ended up disappeared right after I poured in the milkshake :(.
Top the milkshake with some whipped cream (I used cool whip), chocolate shavings (bar of chocolate + vegetable peeler) and a chocolate square, if desired!
Ok, so let’s discuss #Choctoberfest! Not only is it a week full of chocolate recipes, it’s also a GIVEAWAY!!
#Choctoberfest is our annual celebration of chocolate recipes, now in its 6th year. I've teamed up with some talented food bloggers to share dozens of milk, dark, and white chocolate dishes for this year's virtual event. Plus, we've pooled our resources to bring you an exciting giveaway you don't want to miss!
One lucky winner will receive a KitchenAid mixer - or if you already have a mixer you can instead opt to receive a KitchenAid gift card to purchase your choice of attachments or other kitchen tools. To enter, simply follow the directions here:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Open worldwide to entrants who are 18+ (except where prohibited). Winner will receive a KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer or the equivalent in a gift card. Giveaway ends on October 16 at 11:59 PM Eastern. This giveaway is not sponsored by KitchenAid, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, or any other third party sites. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. See terms & conditions for more information.
- Allison, Jess, and Sharon from Triple Chocolate Kitchen (#Choctoberfest organizers!)
- Karen from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Coleen from The Redhead Baker
- Marcelle from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
- Stephanie from Long Distance Baking
- Lisa from Blogghetti
- Linda from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Erin from The Spiffy Cookie
- Audrey from That Recipe
- Maria from Living Ideas
- Kate from Kate's Recipe Box
- Terri from Our Good Life
- Sarah from Sarah Cooks the Books
- Sue from Palatable Pastime
- April from Veggies First Then Dessert
- Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kelley from Simply Inspired Meals
- Iris from A Fork on the Road
- Teri from The Freshman Cook
- Ashley from My Southern Sweet Tooth
- Heather from Join Us, Pull up a Chair
- Angela from Bake It With Love
Check any of these blogs throughout the week for loads and loads of delicious chocolate recipes!
SHARE YOUR PICS!
>>PIN ME FOR LATER<<
FOLLOW QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT
Like what you see? Make sure you‘re following Queenslee Appétit for more tasty recipes!
Have any questions about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
SWEETEN UP YOUR INBOX!
SUBSCRIBE to the Queenslee Appétit Newsletter to recieve new recipe notifications, monthly baking tips, sneak peeks to upcoming recipes, exclusive recipes and more!
Let’s get baking!
Glass Decoration (Optional):
- Chocolate Sauce
- 4 cups (8 scoops) Chocolate ice cream
- ¼-1/2 cup (60-120ml) heavy cream or milk
- ¼ cup hot fudge sauce or chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Chocolate squares
- drizzle some chocolate sauce inside of the glass. Place glasses in the freezer while you prepare the milkshake.
For the Chocolate Milkshake:
- Add softened ice cream, heavy cream or milk and hot fudge sauce to a blender. Blend until smooth. You can add more hot fudge sauce, if desired.
- Pour milkshake into glasses and garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and chocolate squares, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Chocolate Milkshake: see the post above for different ways you can make your chocolate milkshake!
- Whipped Cream: I used cool whip, but I have plenty of recipes on the blog that show you how to make whipped cream from scratch!
- Chocolate Shavings: To create these chocolate shavings, chill a bar of chocolate, then shave it with a vegetable peeler.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 937Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 123gFiber: 4gSugar: 93gProtein: 17g
©QUEENSLEE APPÉTIT. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.